October 2, 2010

Moving On To Step Three

Though I've certainly not managed to work this happiness project the way I wanted to I think it would be a mistake to avoid my third task. This month I am focused on traveling for pleasure.

Over the summer I traveled for the first time in a few years; for personal reasons anyway. I went to Tennessee to visit a college roommate I had not seen in many years. Since her wedding in Virginia in fact. I also managed to squeeze a long weekend in St. Augustine into my summer. Though I travel frugally I did manage to squeeze in two nights at a Bed and Breakfast. (www.castlegarden.com) I have always had a hard time finding the money for traveling when teaching pays so little. This time, I figured I would just go for it!


I purchased a multi-city ticket on JetBlue (www.jetblue.com) to travel to New York and Oregon. I will be in New York to support my uncle at the unveiling of my aunt's headstone. My aunt passed away a year ago and his transition to widow has not been easy. I know my presence will be beneficial to him. My brother is also attending. I am flying up early on a Friday and spending Shabbat with my uncle. The unveiling is on Sunday and I will see my other uncle (my aunt's brother) at that time. I will be staying until Tuesday to run errands, pick up things, and just be a general help to him.

While I know that most of this portion of the trip will be sad I am excited about one aspect of the trip. I know of a very good Jewish book store in my uncle's area and I was quite upset not to get there last time. I plan on spending a good chunk of time at the bookstore this trip and locating materials that have been on my wish list for some time. I am also hoping to spend some time walking around the neighborhoods enjoying the Long Island architecture and watching Fall do its thing.

My trip to Oregon is all pleasure. I will be flying into Portland and staying with my friend and her husband. She moved out to Portland from Vero Beach three years ago and I miss her terribly. I admit that she has invited me before but for many reasons I was unable to go. Now, with the Jane Austen Annual Meeting going on in the City of Roses I have two great reasons to visit. Christina and Jane are bringing me to Portland!

I purchased an Oregon travel book and I have spoken with a lovely lady named Angela at The Travel Portland Center (www.travelportland.com). Angela is sending me a travel magazine for the city and a map so I can finish my planning. I also have a promise from Christina that I will get to see the Pacific Ocean and the astounding rocky seaside. I can hardly wait to see where she has been living and enjoy her city.

I will be attending a portion of the Jane Austen Annual Convention while I am in Portland. I am most excited by the idea of the vendors. What JA merchandise will they have for sale? Last year, a woman in my local JASNA (www.JASNA.org) chapter purchased a handmade straw bonnet. It is precisely the kind of thing I am looking for. I would also love to find something to decorate my classroom.

I am very excited about the prospects of my travel and I can hardly wait to see what happens on my trips!

No comments:

Post a Comment