November 7, 2010

Paying It Forward or Alternative Giving

A few months ago I was literally sitting at a gas station with no gas in my car. I had five hours until my paycheck cleared and I was 15 miles from home. I was so embarrassed but I had to ask a woman if she would give me $3.00 for a gallon of gas. She gave me a $5.00 bill and refused any attempt for me to pay her at a later time. She just said to Pay It Forward.
The month of November is best known for the holiday of Thanksgiving. What better way to work on my happiness project than by working on Alternative Giving or in Hebrew Tzedakah which means righteousness but is often translated as charity. "In Judaism, giving to the poor is not viewed as a generous, magnanimous act; it is simply an act of justice and righteousness, the performance of a duty, giving the poor their due." www.JewFaq.org
The goal of the month is to give as many times as possible. Jewish Sages teach that it is better to give one dollar one hundred times rather than give one hundred dollars away just once. The understanding is that by giving over and over again the soul recognizes the act and becomes accustomed to giving as a part of its inherent nature.
I too will give as many times as I can this month. I have already begun and I will list just a few of the opportunities I have had to give tzedakah since November 1st.  1) I got soup at Panera bread and put $1.00 in their donation box.  2) I purchased chili at Wendy's and put my change into the Dave Thomas Foundation box. 3) I needed a pair of shoes so I bought Tom's. Tom's donates a pair of shoes with every purchase. 4) I spent an extra $30.00 at Publix so I can supply goods to the Boy Scouts food drive next week and a bag for my school's food drive this week.
It was quite easy to give tzedakah so far. I shopped Publix's buy one get one free section for healthy and nutritious foods for the food drive. I was able to purchase peanut butter, whole wheat pasta, tuna, meat soups, etc. for very little money and even less effort.
I wonder how giving as many times I can this month will affect my soul.  I feel as if I am a giving person already but by focusing on every opportunity to give I will be following a commandment to give and elevating my soul through the act. I just wonder if I will be able to feel it in some way.

No comments:

Post a Comment